||2017 Showtacular Fiber Arts Competition
The Empire Alpaca Show and the New England Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association, together as Showtacular, are
pleased to once again offer a Fiber Arts Competion.
Heading up and coordinating the 2017 Showtacular Fiber Arts Show will be Ms. Faith Perkins of Quarry Ridge Alpacas.
- Beginner (working in fiber arts for less than 2 years)
a. Junior – ages 18 and younger
b. Adult – over age 18.
- Intermediate (working in fiber arts for more than 2 years)
- Advanced (working in fiber arts for more than 5 years and has received a score of 90 or greater within a given class).
Fiber Arts Categories:
- All handwork (100% handspun yarns with 100% hand made construction and/or 100% hand felted (from either raw fiber or handspun yarn).
- Part or non-handwork (use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine made construction, less than 100% hand felted)
Use of commercially spun yarn and/or knitting machine construction.
Less than 100% hand felting
Fiber Arts Groups
Fiber Arts Classes
- Accessories – any technique. Small wearable items such as, gloves, hats,socks, slippers, purses,
jewelry, shawls, scarves.
- Garments – any technique. Such as sweaters, jackets, dresses, vests or complete outfits
- Hearth & Home – any technique. Such as art and toys, pictures, figurines, etc. Home furnishings such as rugs, pillows,
afghans, wall hangings, containers, etc.
Rules: Fiber Arts Competition
Send Entries and fees to:
- All entries, in all classes, must consist of 50% or more alpaca fiber.
- All fiber art items must be one-of-a kind items crafted by the exhibitor.
- A maximum of 1 entry per division/category/group/class per exhibitor.
- Items must have been completed during the last year (after November 11, 2016).
- No substitutions.
- A completed entry tag must accompany the item, stating the artisan’s name, address, and class number.
If known, the name and a photograph of the alpaca from which the fiber was gathered may also be included
and attached to the entry tag.
- Each item must be accompanied by a written description that provides construction details. This
description will be included in the points for judging. The description requires, but is not limited to,
the following information: fiber preparation, fiber content, techniques used, as well as, intended use.
Written descriptions shall not exceed a 3" x 5" card and must NOT contain identifying information, such
as individual name or ranch identifying information. NOTE: description cards containing identifying
information will be removed and no points for written descriptions will be awarded.
- Please see the 2017 AOA SHOW DIVISION HANDBOOK for judging criteria
- Entry fees are $10.00 per item for each Fiber Arts Entry
- Entries and tags can be dropped off at the show on Thursday, October 19, 2017 by 3pm.
- As a standard show policy, every effort will be made to provide a secure environment, but Empire
Alpaca Association/NEAOBA cannot be responsible for individual items displayed. There is security in
the building and the Fiber Arts Display will be covered with sheets each night. Submission of an entry
indicates agreement with these terms.
Quarry Ridge Alpaca Farm
453 Quarry Road
Salem, NY 12865
Please make checks payable to Showtacular.